This A.M. I'm thirsty for last Thursday. Last Thursday the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) held their first 1st Thursdays event for 2013. On the first Thursday of every month the party starts after they close. The Gallery turns into a night club with a live DJ and Performance artists.
As it turns out this was a SOLD OUT Event!
The themes are EAT, DRINK, DANCE and WATCH, SEE, CREATE. And... for a few extra bucks I combined my ticket to view the Frida & Diego Exhibit.
Here were some of the highlights:
- The AGO got it right when they decided to do a Paint by numbers activity, as I watched hipsters learn how to paint a landscape the way our grandparents did.
- The live performance was a special solo performance by JUNO and Polaris Prize nominee Basia Bulat, featuring visuals by Toronto artist Stephanie Comilang.
- A one-night-only participatory mural project (The Great Canadian Apology Wall) by Dan Bergeron, one of Toronto’s best-known street artists.
- East Coast fish and chips
- Poutine cantina
- House-made tacos
- Fresh oyster bar
- Black market churros
- Wine, beer, margaritas and mojitos
- FRANK: try a Frida & Diego-inspired 1st Thursday three-course Prix Fixe Menu
I thought I would share a few pics of the night and following day that I returned. I had to see the Frida & Diego Exhibit for the third time! All three times I learned more, felt more and experienced more.
|Frida Kahlo Gingerbread Cookie paired with an Americano and Spiced Hot Chocolate|
|Something about this makes me think Frida would get my symbolism|
|He painted for the people. She painted to survive. Exhibit runs until January 20, 2013|
|The Great Canadian Apology Wall- I'm in the top left corner!|
|Sorry About My Breath?! I deserve an apology for that.|
|I Love you Mom|
|Paint by numbers: Learn how to paint a landscape the way your grandparents did|
|Thanks Meredith for this tasty treat, I got the last two oysters!|
I've already purchased my ticket for the 1st Thursdays in February! I'm looking forward to seeing you there should you join!