1. For footwear, wear a pair of comfortable boots or shoes on the plane that you can wear everyday of your trip and on casual evenings. Pack flip flops (they don't take up much space) and comfortable heels for the evening. (Alright, if you promise you are going to work out in the morning you can bring your sneakers too!)
2. Pick a color story. Whether it be a black or brown theme or maybe you decide to go with all bright colors, stick with it. That way you can mix and match pieces and both your daytime shoes and evening shoes will match everything and you aren't committed to wearing a specific outfit on a specific day.
3. Bring a bag that can go from day to night. While hitting the streets sightseeing and shopping a cross-body in a metallic color is great, especially if it converts to a clutch or tote for the evening.
4. If you are traveling somewhere that isn't too warm (i.e. a place that you don't sweat in your cloths) bring versatile tops that you can wear during the day with a nice pair of jeans and boots and then in the evening switch out the boots for some heels, throw on a dressy blazer and go out and enjoy the nightlife. See example pics below.
5. If you are going somewhere hot pack breathable fabrics that wrinkle less like cotton and jersey knit over silk or polyester.
6. Wear a pair of jeans, pants, skirt or shorts twice on your trip and don't pack more day time tops than days you will be away.
7. What you should bring extra of is accessories! A fun necklace or scarf can totally change your look if you are repeating a top or dress and they don't take up much room in the suitcase.
8. I know you want to bring your blow dryer, flat iron, manicure kit, face wash, shampoo, conditioner, etc... but we have to draw the line somewhere. Do your nails before you leave. Transfer some face wash to a small travel size bottle. Buy a travel size hair spray. Almost all hotels have a hair dryer and provide shampoo and conditioner, so leave those items at home. They may not be up to par with the products you use normally, but they work. Space in the suitcase is valuable.You will still be beautiful.... I promise.
9. In lieu of a carry on bag I go with a large nylon tote bag as my 'purse' that I can fit anything and everything in on flying day. A book, ipad, phone, wallet, jewelery bag, camera, ziploc bag for my liquids (lip gloss, hand sanitizer, lip stick, mini lotion, etc), sunglasses, energy bar/snack, bottle of water (bought after the security checkpoint) and a sweater all go in my tote. Everything of value is on me (not in the suit case, heaven forbid something happens) and everything that may come in handy while traveling.
10. Don't stress! Packing for a getaway should be fun!
Daytime look: Krisa coated drape blazer, Halston Heritage rose print blouse, Rag and Bone Heritage high-rise skinny, Rebecca Minkoff M.A.B. (morning after bag) tote, Aquatalia 'sweet' boot
Evening look: St. John Caviar and Oatmeal Pebbled Blazer (similar here), Halston Heritage rose print blouse, Rag and Bone Heritage high-rise skinny, Rebecca Minkoff M.A.B. (morning after bag) tote, Pedro Garcia Abbie Bootie